Sunday, June 06, 2021

Probably the MOST honest politician in Malaysia

FMT:

I offer nothing else but my honesty



By Zaid Ibrahim

Last week, I wrote in my blog an article addressed to Umno members that they should not judge former prime minister Najib Razak too harshly as the legal process is not over yet.

I said I believe his story that the Saudi Arabian ruler King Abdullah gave him the donation. I also mentioned the possibility that Najib himself is a victim of a political conspiracy.

The article attracted a deluge of criticisms, but I did not expect them to call me names. Some likened me to Raja Petra.

I am not averse to criticisms as I have received my fair share of cruel and unfounded personal attacks in the past. After all, this is not the first time I have taken a stand on “unpopular” issues of the day.

I have never shied away from controversial issues if I believe in them, especially those useful for the public to understand.

I took up the case against the Kelantan hudud law because I believed it is against the Federal Constitution. Many Malays called me “apostate” for taking this action and I almost lost the general election in 2004.

When I spoke and wrote extensively in the 1990s about the need to remove immunity from the Malay Rulers for personal misconduct, they labelled me a traitor.

I once suggested that Mara take some non-Malays into UITM as it would be good for the Malays, as they would have to be more competitive. What did I get? I am shunned by UITM, my alma mater, to this very day.

I defended DAP in front of Malay crowds because I believe the party has some good people who genuinely believe in good governance and are worthy of partnership with Malay political groups to move forward in our nation-building. Till today I have to live with the label “DAP puppet”.

I am not proud of being a maverick or an outlier. The only thing I can offer to the public are my views on matters of public interest, given honestly and truthfully.

My views may be flawed and my reasoning faulty, but they are never dishonest or contrived. Maybe that’s why many news portals and bloggers are willing to publish my views regularly.

I have never received any payment from them, nor do I share their political agenda or beliefs. The precious little thing that I have is self-respect. That matters.

That’s why in all the years I partook in public life, I have never taken any money from anyone or taken a position in exchange for support on matters that I did not believe in.

It is hurtful that some people think I must have been paid for defending personalities like the former PM in the sunset years of my life.

Maybe they think that because I am the poorest ex-minister in the history of the country, I must have succumbed to temptations. Yes, I am not rich, living from hand to mouth because I am not able to practise. I am just too proud to use another person’s name other than my own. But I cannot do that until the courts make a decision.

I am jobless, which makes me neither B40 nor M40 to get any support from the government. With Covid-19 getting out of control, life is more complicated than during the Japanese occupation.

This piece is written not to appease those who hate me, but to assure my family, friends and readers that I will continue to engage in public discourse with honesty and integrity. I have nothing else to offer the Malaysian public.


Zaid Ibrahim was a federal minister in the AAB cabinet who resigned in protest against the ISA used against Teresa Kok (DAP) and Tan Hoon Cheng (Sin Chew journalist)



15 comments:

  1. please continue to sound as u wish, the one that share their view over yr remarks is also mostly honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wakakakakaka…

    Written after too much toddy happy hours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wakakakaka…

      Depending on his alcohol tolerance!

      Some just utter garbages, some subconscious distractions, a few truth.

      Listeners, caveat emptor!

      Delete
    2. Alas, there's no veritas from one Batty who spew lies and inane ramblings here after his daily vino dangdut !

      As for Zaid, I'm afraid he has damaged himself badly here with his latest wild firing of his cannon.

      Delete
  3. "I believe his story that the Saudi Arabian ruler King Abdullah gave him the donation"

    His views is not only flawed and reasoning faulty, it is also dangerous for it gives those blur sotong the fake hope of they are supporting the right man ....... wow see who is talking, a man of status, a ex-minister, a professional, lawyer, the ex-boss of the once largest legal firm in Malaysia !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do you think his view is flawed? Ministers and the Malaysian ambassador to Saudi testified in court that they heard King Salman promising to give DSN money.
      King Salman was undoubtedly close to DSN as he funded the King Salman centre for international peace in Malaysia until it was cancelled by PH. Malaysia also got a higher quota for the Haj during DSN's rule.

      The Saudis have been giving monies to various nations to promote their interests (whether you agree with their causes or not). Example money given to the former king of Spain. Funding wars in Syria. They certainly have the means.

      Delete
    2. https://www.theedgemarkets.com/article/special-report-najibs-audience-king-abdullah-secured-through-payments-money-1mdb

      "Jamil said he was not aware that fugitive businessman Low Taek Jho, better known as Jho Low, had arranged for the Saudi donation, as Najib had testified previously."

      "LOBBYING TO GET CLOSE TO SAUDI ARABIA AND TO GET AN AUDIENCE WITH KING ABDULLAH

      On Oct 7, 2009 (a week after US$1.0 billion was transferred out by 1MDB, with US$700 million diverted to the Good Star account controlled by Low and US$300 million to a JV account controlled by Tarek), Low emailed Tarek, copying Mahony, informing him that Najib had written to King Abdullah asking for Malaysia’s haj quota to be increased by 10,000 to 36,000. The letter was attached to the email. Low asked Tarek to help with the request."

      Najib the Mega Crook

      Delete
    3. What the Saudi had done have verifiable records both within Saudi & the recipients - as in money given to the former king of Spain, funding wars in Syria & financial supports to Ben Ladin !

      But there r zilch provable records in giving donation to jibby - with the exception of words from Malaysian officers!

      Just some spurious one-sided & unprovable verbatim PROVES that there were huge flaws in that argument!

      Delete
    4. There is documentary proof of money transfers from the Saudi ministry of finance. Furthermore
      Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir said funds wired into Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak's personal bank account were a "genuine" donation originating from Saudi Arabia.

      Delete
  4. There is documentary evidence of the wire transfers from the Saudi ministry of finance. This was shown in court.

    other than Malaysian ministers, The Saudi Foreign minister also confirmed the donation to DSN.

    (Reuters) - Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir said funds wired into Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak's personal bank account were a "genuine" donation originating from Saudi Arabia, Malaysian state media reported on Friday.

    As i said King Abdulllah was close to DSN setting up the peace centre in Malaysia bearing his name. Saudi also invested billions into pengerang, Johor when Najib was PM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truly blurred!

      "(Reuters) - Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir said funds wired into Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak's personal bank account were a "genuine" donation originating from Saudi Arabia, Malaysian state media reported on Friday."

      Reuter quoted verbatim from Malaysia state media!

      Where r the genuine proofs from ANY impartial third parties?

      Delete

    2. Please read the article below.

      https://www.wsj.com/articles/saudi-says-aware-of-donation-to-malaysian-leader-1460712725


      There is also a youtube video link below with adel al jubeir on record answering that it was a genuine donation and nothing was expected in return from DSN.


      https://youtu.be/Ch418-kwIxM

      Delete
    3. Verifiable 3rd source!

      Understand?

      Delete