I have reproduced the New Straits Times report on the police women tudung requirement in full below (unedited) – I won’t even bother to look at The Star Online:
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said today it is optional for women police personnel to wear the tudung (headscarf) while performing their daily duties but the headscarf is compulsory for those taking part in parades.
“There is no problem and dispute (on the wearing of the tudung by women police personnel),” he said at a news conference after launching the 199th Police Day celebration at the Police Training Depot here, according to a Bernama report.
“Members of uniformed services, including the police, must abide by the regulations on the wearing of their uniforms.”
The Prime Minister said the issue should not have arisen.
Several Members of Parliament debated the issue in the Dewan Rakyat on Thursday after the disclosure of a circular by Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohd Bakri Omar requiring all women police personnel to wear the tudung during official functions.
I thought of not saying anything because the significance and implications are fairly clear, but I’ll summarise just 3 points:
(1) the example of the Sikh personnel in the Police Force & Armed Forces - to give lie to the reason of 'uniformity' on parades.
(2) the lack of credibility on policy statements by non-Muslim Ministers, as compared to mere civil servants like the IGP - Minister Fu Ah Kiow, where do you show your face now?
(3) the IGP rejected the establishment of the IPCMC in front of its advocator, the PM himself, during the IGP’s speech to commemorate the 199th Police Day celebrations today - Siapa Raja?
(1) Siapa Raja!
(2) Police undermined PM's decision
(3) Policewomen forced to wear tudungs on parade!
(4) Dep Police Minister: Tudung no need!
Post a Comment