Israel kills 64 in Gaza on Eid; bodies of 14 missing medics recovered
- Palestinian officials say Israeli forces have killed at least 64 people, including children, in Gaza on the first day of Eid al-Fitr.
- The Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS) has recovered the bodies of eight medics, five civil defence workers and a UN employee, a week after their vehicles came under Israeli fire near Rafah in southern Gaza.
- The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) has condemned the killings, saying the “devastating incident” represents the single most deadly attack on its workers anywhere in the world since 2017.
- Gaza’s Health Ministry says at least 50,277 Palestinians are confirmed dead and 114,095 wounded in Israel’s war on Gaza. Gaza’s Government Media Office updated its death toll about two months ago to more than 61,700, saying that thousands of people missing under the rubble are presumed dead.
WATCH: ‘Eid of Sadness’ – Gaza marks festival amid Israeli bombings, food shortages
Children across Gaza celebrated Eid al-Fitr on Sunday, wearing new clothes and venturing out to find sweets.
But joy quickly turned to sadness as Israeli bombardment claimed the lives of dozens of people, including many children.
- 24m ago(01:00 GMT)
US Muslim group calls for probe into killing of Gaza medics
The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is calling on the United Nations to investigate the “massacre” of 15 emergency workers in Gaza, including eight paramedics and a UN staff member.
“The Israeli government must be prevented from committing further atrocities and must be held accountable for the war crimes it has committed with impunity,” CAIR Deputy Executive Director Edward Ahmed Mitchell said in a statement.
“The United States and the nations of the world cannot allow this crime against humanity to continue.”
As we reported earlier, the bodies of the emergency workers were found buried alongside their ambulances, a week after they went missing under heavy Israeli gunfire.
- 39m ago(00:45 GMT)
Photos: Palestinian medics mourn colleagues killed by Israel
Palestine Red Crescent members mourn as the bodies of 14 of their colleagues were found buried a week after they came under Israeli fire, at Nasser Hospital in Khan Younis on Sunday [Abdallah FS Alattar/Anadolu] The bodies of the slain emergency workers were brought to Nasser Hospital after they were found buried alongside their ambulances and fire trucks [Hani Alshaer/Anadolu] The emergency workers, who included a UN employee, were responding to calls for help after deadly Israeli attacks on March 23, when they went missing [AFP] People gather around the body of Palestinian paramedic Mohamed Bahloul, one of the emergency workers who was killed in the attack, which the Israeli army only acknowledged after a first body was found [AFP] - 54m ago(00:30 GMT)
Who are the emergency workers killed by Israel?
The PRCS says eight of the 14 bodies it recovered on Sunday were of its medics. Five were of missing civil defence workers and the other was a UN employee.
Earlier this week, the body of another civil defence worker was found, bringing the total number of bodies recovered to 15.
One first responder is still missing. His name is Ahmad Nasasra.
The PRCS and Palestinian Civil Defence say it took them days to recover the bodies of their colleagues, and that they were shot at when they tried to find out what had happened to their crew.
The slain PRCS staff have been identified as Mustafa Khafaja, Ezzedine Sha’at, Saleh Moammar, Rifaat Radwan, Mohammad Behloul, Ashraf Abu Labda, Mohammad Al-Hila and Raed Al-Sharif.
The slain civil defence crew are Anwar Abdel Hamid Al-Attar, Zuhair Abdul Hamid Al-Farra, Samir Yahya Al-Bahabsa, Ibrahim Nabil Al-Maghari, Fouad Ibrahim Al-Jamal and Youssef Rasim Khalifa.
The Yom Kippur War was initiated by Egypt and Syria on October 6, 1973. Yom Kippur is the holiest day of the Jewish calendar. It also occurred during Ramadan, the sacred month of fasting in Islam, and lasted till October 26, 1973, ie past Eid.
ReplyDelete2,800 Israelis were killed and 8,800 wounded. It was a slaughter.
in retaliation for the 6-Day war when Israel seized Egyptian land up to the Suez Canal; but saved by massive Wankee aid ferried in by almost non-stop C-5 Galaxy aircraft and secondment of Wankee pilots
DeleteAnd Israel returned the Sinai (which borders Gaza) back to Egypt in 1982, in pursuit of peace. Sinai is 50X the size of Gaza and Egypt can easily accommodate the Gazans there, with financial backing from rich Arab states to build housing and infrastructure. But no Arab want to help the Gazans.
DeleteWhy should the Palestinians giving up their ancestral land to an invading europe rejects?
DeleteWhy should millions of Pakis and Yindians give up their ancestral homes during Partition?
DeleteWhy should millions of Germans, Poles and other Europeans give up their ancestral homes and move elsewhere after WW2 because of changing boundaries?
Why should millions of Jews give up their ancestral homes in Muslim and European homes and move to Israel?
Why should millions of Syrians give up their ancestral homes and move to Europe?
In the 1970s why should millions of Iranians give up their ancestral homes and move to the west?
Why should millions of Vietnamese give up their ancestral homes and move and move to USA, France, Oz etc?
Why are there 2 separate UN agencies for refugees? One for ALL refugees globally (UNHCR) and the other one is SPECIAL ONLY for Palestinians - UNWRA?
Mfer, yr last paragraph inherently explained all those WHYs from yr f*cked&selective understanding of world human migrations due to political plays.
DeleteAll those WHYs happened w/o the destruction of the homelands they left behind.
The Palestine would only be ahistorical record if the Palestinians leave that land. The zionist state would ensure that & that's the core reason of why the establishment of a Palestine nation, approved by UN, yet recalcitrantly rejected & ignored by the f*cked rejected Judas from Europe.