Saturday, October 16, 2021

No conspicuous factions in DAP, just differences of opinion



No conspicuous factions in DAP, just differences of opinion



From P Ramasamy


I would like to respond to the article “Knives come out as Penang DCM mulls move to Parliament” (Oct 15, 2021, FMT).

While the publication’s reporters are entitled to their views, I need to comment on some matters raised.

It was argued that I am expected to contest a parliamentary seat in the next general election (GE15) and that there are members jostling to take over the post of deputy chief minister in Penang.

There are two rival factions, one is aligned to an ambitious newcomer and the other linked to me with Majlis Bandaran Seberang Perai councillor David Marshel and Bagan Dalam state assemblyman Satees Muniandy.

The recent allegations about David’s involvement in the attack against M Ramachandran of the Penang Hindu Endowments Board and the distribution of sub-standard tablets for Tamil schools were attributed to the opposing faction.

These allegations were attributed to the newcomer who intends to build ties with individuals and groups opposed to me and those who have close links with me.

It was also stated that the opposition against David was motivated to deny him the councillor’s post for next year.

It was further stated that the individuals aligned with me are those who will not kowtow to the majority in the party.

Whether I am going to contest for a parliamentary seat or going to continue in my present state seat has yet to be determined. There is still time for such nominations. The party will decide just before GE15.

I may have a particular interest, but the views of the party are more important than my own decision.

I am not sure whether there are two factions among Indians in the DAP in Penang – one aligned to me and others aligned to a newcomer.

I am not sure as to who this newcomer is and how he built support within a short span of time so much so he has the support of the faction opposed to me.

I am dubious about this newcomer, let alone him eyeing the post of Penang deputy chief minister.

Maybe, FMT can give me more information about this newcomer and how he became so powerful in the party.

As far I am concerned, there is no factionalism in the DAP in general and among Indians in the party in particular. There might be individuals or groups who might oppose me on some matters and support me on others.

Anyway, no one, even a best performing politician is immune from criticism and opposition. There is no such thing as no opposition. I have my share of opposition and criticisms.

This is part and parcel of a vibrant democracy. There have been allegations against David on a number of issues. Police reports have been made as well as reports to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).

David defended himself against the wild allegations that were meant to defame him in the eyes of the public. He is prepared to be investigated by law enforcement agencies on the basis of evidence.

Similarly, those making wild and uncorroborated allegations must be prepared to be investigated and prosecuted.

Justice is a two-way street, it applies equally to everybody. The detractors cannot expect to be excused if they are bent on character assassination.

David has worked under me for more than 12 years, first as a field officer and then as an MBSP councillor. He is a hardworking and responsible councillor.

He takes tremendous interest in the movement against the selling and consumption of cheap unhealthy alcohol in the country.

There may be some individuals who might have fallen out with David for personal reasons. They are the ones responsible for the attacks against David, Satees and me in the recent past.

I take criticisms if they are meant to improve my performance. But to say that there is a well-organised faction seeking to undermine my support with the ultimate aim of deposing me from the present post is a bit far-fetched.

There is no need to kowtow to anybody whether they are in the DAP or outside. Self-respect and pride are important to members in a political party.

My objective in politics is to further the cause of democracy, justice and human rights.

This is the reason why I vehemently oppose any kind of infringement on human rights and dignity.

1 comment:

  1. Like any good Top Dog politician , DCM Ramasamy no doubt plays one faction against another, all to strengthen his own position.

    This game has been played by powerful politicians for thousands of years.

    ReplyDelete