Monday, October 25, 2021

I was ‘toy’ for religious authorities, says Nur Sajat from Sydney

theVibes.com:

I was ‘toy’ for religious authorities, says Nur Sajat from Sydney

Cosmetics entrepreneur shares more harrowing details of abuse, trauma in interview with Harith Iskandar


Nur Sajat relating her traumatic experiences at the hands of religious authorities in Malaysia to Harith Iskandar from her Sydney home. – Screen grab, October 25, 2021

KUALA LUMPUR – Safely settled in Australia away from the snares of Malaysia’s religious enforcement, transgender cosmetics entrepreneur Nur Sajat claims she was used to cover up bigger political and religious matters.

Speaking with celebrity Harith Iskander on his YouTube talk show What’s Going on Malaysia? last night, Nur Sajat said her prominent status and ensuing issues as an openly transgender woman has often been brought up to distract the country from more pressing matters.

“Whenever my name starts going viral again, other matters will immediately vanish,” she said, adding that she feels like a “toy” used by political and religious authorities for their own benefit.

She cited the controversial case late last year when frozen exotic meat was found smuggled into the country and repackaged with the halal logo at a warehouse in Senai, Johor.

Nur Sajat, 36, pointed out that the matter has now been completely swept under the carpet.


The Islamic Development Department (Jakim) had said that the matter does not fall under its purview.



'halal-ness' does not fall under JAKIM's purview?
extra strong 'kerbau' from Kerala!


She also revealed to Harith more details about her experience of alleged physical harassment at the hands of religious authorities in Malaysia.


Nur Sajat says she was physically restrained from leaving a room when being questioned by the religious authorities over her ‘suggestive’ Instagram photos. – Screen grab, October 25, 2021

She said she had been called in by the Selangor Islamic Religious Department (Jais) in December last year to give her statement regarding a 2018 event in which she wore female attire.

“They repeatedly said that the matter is still under investigation. They told me that I was not being accused of anything and a sentence was not being meted out yet,” she said from her new home in a Sydney suburb.

She said she was then told by the authorities that there were actually two charges against her: one for wearing female attire and another for posting “suggestive” images on her Instagram account.

“They showed me the photos – about four of them – and asked me why I had posted them and what my intentions were.

“I said that I thought I looked pretty, so I posted them,” she said, adding that there was only one other woman present in the room with 15 men.

“Despite my cooperation, they suddenly told me that I was being detained. I was surprised because they had earlier said that I was just there to give my statement.

“If I had known that was going to happen, I would have brought my lawyer with me so that I would know better what was going on,” she said.

Nur Sajat added that she was restrained when she tried to leave the room to tell her parents, who were waiting outside, about the arrest.

“They twisted my arm and pushed me to the ground. Three men sat on me and I was not strong enough to fight back against so many of them.

“I shouted and screamed, but they still held me down and handcuffed me. I am still deeply traumatised by what happened,” she said, noting that the female officer in the room started recording her when she resisted the arrest.


Nur Sajat shared this photo on Instagram of a 2018 event that Jais took issue with, as she was wearing female attire and a headscarf. – Nur Sajat Instagram pic, October 25, 2021

Last week, Nur Sajat had alleged in a New York Times interview that she was sexually assaulted by religious authorities and placed overnight in a male detention facility.

“I was cooperating with the authorities, I had no intention to run. What they did to me was completely unnecessary and illogical,” she said, explaining that she was then sent to a temporary detention facility in Kuala Kubu Baru.

“Everyone else was made to do a Covid-19 swab test, but I was told that I did not need one,” Nur Sajat said, adding that she suffered mental health issues and required therapy after the incident.

The final straw for her was when a warrant for her arrest was issued and 120 officers were deployed to track her down in February this year.

This had come about after she missed a court session because of the trauma she endured and declining mental health.

“I was already at the court but when I saw all the police officers and a van like the one I was transported to Kuala Kubu Baru there, I broke down and went to Shah Alam Hospital for immediate treatment.

“I was given a medical certificate letter to explain my absence, but my letter was rejected by the court,” she said.


Nur Sajat’s new home in a leafy Sydney suburb, where she says she feels ‘safe, happy and free’. – Nur Sajat Instagram pic, October 25, 2021

Nur Sajat said the entire experience left her with psychological scars, to the point that she no longer felt safe in her own motherland.

“I had to leave behind my children, my business, all my workers and friends.

“At that time, all I could think about was saving myself.”

Facing separate charges of obstructing and threatening a public servant, which she has denied, she went into hiding in Thailand.

Last month, she was arrested by Thai authorities over an invalid passport, but later released on bail.

She has since gained asylum in Australia, and said she feels “safe, happy and free” there after having been intimidated and abused in Malaysia.

Nur Sajat is settled in Sydney, where she hopes to move on and rebuild her business. – The Vibes, October 25, 2021


1 comment:

  1. Given a Voice (interviewed) by a newspaper from the Land of The Free and Easy and staying in such a nice house in the Land of The Free and Easy Junior. Why can't we be a little more like them?

    ReplyDelete