Sunday, December 25, 2022

Tajuddin admits offered to join PAS to contest GE15 under Perikatan but stayed loyal with Umno

MM Online:


                       


KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 25 — Umno’s Datuk Seri Tajuddin Abdul Rahman has revealed he was offered to join PAS and stand as a Perikatan Nasional candidate for Pasir Salak in last month’s general election but opted to remain with Umno out of loyalty.

Tajuddin, a former Pasir Salak MP, had been sacked from the party’s supreme council in June.


“I have been with Umno for a long time. I entered Umno in 1975 when I was 25 years old. From young to old, Umno contributed a lot to me.

“But I wouldn’t have left Umno because there was a problem with me not being nominated (as a GE15 candidate). I received offers. When my name was not listed, I was offered by PAS to join and become a PN candidate but I declined.


“I am not those who accepted and left Umno. That is their right. To me, it is not a good choice as I have benefited so much from Umno,” he was quoted as saying by Sinar Harian.


Tajuddin said when he was not nominated, he still continued to support Umno and Barisan Nasional.

“I told my friends and those who knew me for so long, we have to support Umno whatever the case.

“As proof, I went campaigning to various polling districts and met with the election machineries to give them words of encouragement. That is my commitment and sincerity to the party,” he added.

As for Umno’s Supreme Council stand on “no DAP, no Anwar”, Tajuddin said nothing is set in stone in politics.

“Yes it is true before this general election we pushed for ‘no DAP, no Anwar’ because we thought Umno was dominant.

“We felt Umno was capable but the results showed otherwise, we only obtained 30 seats.

“So what are our choices? Either we worked with the unity government or sit on the sideline as Opposition,” he said.

He said some were keen on Umno becoming part of the federal government but some said it was better to remain as the Opposition, with Umno’s leadership later choosing the former as the party’s choice.

“So that is the right of the leadership. We as followers can only provide our views. My stand is firm but what can I do, I have no authority,” he said.

Still a division chief, Tajuddin said he had reminded party members to be wary of DAP and their policies which were in direct opposition to Umno’s.

“Previously, before the 14th general election they showed their true colours and they made a mistake. But do not dismiss this entirely because for me they (DAP) are firm in their struggles,” he added.


No comments:

Post a Comment