Thursday, May 26, 2022

I regret falling in love with a politician, woman tells rape trial



I regret falling in love with a politician, woman tells rape trial


A woman told the court that she was attracted to Gombak Setia assemblyman Hilman Idham’s charm and intelligence.


KUALA LUMPUR: A woman who claims to have been raped by an aide to Gombak Setia assemblyman Hilman Idham told the sessions court here today that her mistake was that she had fallen in love with Hilman.

The woman said she was smitten with Hilman because of his charm and that he had made her feel special.


“My only mistake was that I fell in love with a politician. I was attracted to his charm and intelligence. He’s so caring. He cared so much about me and made me feel special. I didn’t expect that he would throw a birthday party for me twice.

“I fell in love with him, but there’s no political interest,” the woman testified.


She said this during reexamination by deputy public prosecutor Zilfinaz Abbas on whether she had pursued the rape case due to political interest.

The 33-year-old woman has alleged that she was taken to a room at Dorsett Hartamas when she was drunk and raped by Hilman’s aide Mohd Zulfahimin Mahdzir after her birthday party on Dec 5, 2020.

She reiterated that what happened that night between her and Zulfahimin was not consensual, and that it was different with Hilman.

“Every time before I slept with Hilman, he made sure that I was aware that we were sleeping with each other. He’s a gentleman and would get my consent.


“But at that time (the night of the incident), I just looked at Zul (Zulfahimin) as Hilman’s assistant and even Hilman didn’t mention anything about booking a room. When I woke up (that night), I knew I had been taken advantage of,” she said.

She added that she discovered later that her friend, known as “Mai”, had left with Hilman that night.

The woman filed a police report on Dec 5, 2020, but retracted it three days later claiming she was being “intimidated” by Hilman’s men.

Subsequently, she said, she lodged another report in January 2021 after regaining her strength and seeking counselling from the Women’s Aid Organisation.

Asked how she had met Hilman, the woman claimed that Hilman’s friend known as Zaki had introduced her to him at a cigar lounge called Cohiba Atmosphere. The two later exchanged mobile numbers via Instagram. This took place in 2020, she added.

Hearing before judge Norhasniah Abdul Razak will continue on July 21 and 22, as well as from Aug 10 to Aug 12.


No comments:

Post a Comment