Monday, May 30, 2022

I am down but not out, says Tian Chua



I am down but not out, says Tian Chua


Tian Chua does not believe his association with former party deputy president Azmin Ali has any bearing on his loss in the party polls.


PETALING JAYA: PKR vice-president Tian Chua, who was defeated by protege-turned-rival P Prabakaran for the post of Batu division head in the party polls, is confident of being fielded in the constituency in the next general election (GE15).

“It’s not true that my loss means I will not be fielded in the Batu parliamentary seat by PKR. I am quite sure I will return to contest there in GE15,” he told FMT.

“I believe that I will be able to defend the seat for the party.”

He was asked if his loss had effectively put paid to his aspirations of re-contesting the seat which he had won in the 2008 and 2013 general elections. In 2018, his nomination was controversially rejected on the grounds that he had been fined RM2,000 by a court in 2010.

He endorsed independent candidate Prabakaran, then a 22-year-old law student, who won the seat and joined PKR as the country’s youngest parliamentarian.

Tian Chua said he had to back Prabakaran in GE14 as he had no choice after being disqualified.

In the unofficial party election results announced yesterday, Prabakaran garnered 517 votes while Tian Chua, an incumbent vice-president, received 306.

Asked if his alleged association with former party deputy president Azmin Ali, who left PKR to join Bersatu, had any bearing on the result, the party veteran said: “I don’t think Azmin has anything to do with this.

“Prabakaran won in the division because he has the resources as an MP in the constituency. I will continue to be in PKR to help the party. I have no reason to quit the party,” he said.

1 comment:

  1. The primary reason Tian Chua had not jumped ship is that, not being an MP, his Market Value was much lower than those with Parliamentary seats.
    PKR would be idiotic to offer him a seat to contest in GE15. As good as gone to PN, if Tian Chua wins a seat .

    ReplyDelete