Malaysiakini’s HRP to Pakatan: Give us 15 parliamentary seats reported that HRP has issued an ultimatum to Pakatan Rakyat to back out and allow the Indian-based party to take on BN in straight fights in 15 parliamentary seats and 38 state seats in the next general election ...
... or else the opposition coalition will find itself in three-corner fights in the constituencies.
Parliamentary seats that HRP demands are:
1. Padang Serai (Incumbent: PKR - N Gobalakrishnan)
2. Batu Kawan (DAP - Ramasamy)
3. Sungei Siput (PSM - Dr D Jeyakumar)
4. Ipoh Barat (DAP - N Kulasegaran)
5. Bagan Datoh (BN - Ahmad Zahid Hamidi)
6. Cameron Highlands (BN - SK Devamany)
7. Hulu Selangor (BN - P Kamalanathan)
8. Kuala Selangor (PAS - Dzulkefy Ahmad)
9. Klang (DAP - Charles Santiago)
10. Kota Raja (PAS - Siti Mariah Mahmud)
11. Rasah (DAP - Anthony Loke)
12. Teluk Kemang (PKR - Kamarul Baharin Abbas)
13. Alor Gajah (BN - Fong Chan Onn)
14. Tebrau (BN - Teng Boon Soon)
15. Lembah Pantai (PKR - Nurul Izzah Anwar)
It's a wonder Uthayakumar didn't ask for the Pakatan leaders to kiss his feet as well.
To give my take on his atrociously avaricious demand let me first provide a brief discussion of what happened in the Australian state of Victoria recently.
In Australia there are two major parties, Labour and the Liberal-National Coalition, the latter known as just the Coalition. In recent times the Greens have emerged as a powerful 3rd Force. There are also a sprinkling of Independents, most being former Coalition members. The major parties realize that the minor or so-called 3rd Force parties (Greens and Independents) have been using their minority strength to extract disproportionate gains.
Senior civil servants have now emerged to complain that because of the Greens and some Independents (who have joined Labour to prevent a ‘hung parliament’), they (the civil servants) have far greater workloads than before. It's due to the minor parties insisting on being briefed separately on almost everything. Such briefings have doubled or tripled the workload of the civil servants, distracting them from the important tasks.
So, in the recent state election in Victoria, the Coalition has decided to bite the bullet and avoid ‘preferential-ing’ the Greens, risking even defeat. The Australian voting system has the ‘preferential votes’ system where parties can do deals and ‘preference’ the votes they received (when they are no longer in the running as a potential winner) to another party. Traditionally Labour and the Coalition preference each other last, meaning they won’t ever benefit from each other’s preferential votes, for obvious reason. So what the Coalition did was unprecedented, preparing to even lose in order to eliminate the Greens. They preferenced Greens last, meaning they were willing to have their main rival, Labour, benefit from their preferential votes. But the Coalition won.
While we don’t have a preferential voting system, the time has come for Pakatan to be brave (like the Victorian Coalition Party) and destroy HRP once and for all, even at the loss of a few seats. My reasons are as follows:
(1) Never give in to a threat, or you’ll forever be a slave to it. It’s better to lose in those threatened 3-corner fights than to have a blackmailing demon riding on your shoulders in each and every election.
(2) Don’t trust Uthayakumar as he is likely to jump over to the BN. This man is pompous, hubristic, self centred, and cannot be reasonably dealt with. Pakatan can’t and mustn’t do business with him.
(3) Giving in to his threat is far worse than fighting in out in 3-corner fights. Surrendering to Uthayakumar means losing those seats even before the election begins.
(4) Thus why cringe and provide Uthayakumar an easy ride.
(5) Most importantly, while HRP may do some damage, it’s not as significant as Uthayakumar has pompously presented. In reality the '27 Nov 2007' Hindraf has already disintegrated. For example, Thanethiran has taken his Makkal Sakthi and a host of Indian supporters over to the BN, while Ganabatirau and colleagues stay true with the DAP. Furthermore it’s known that most Indians have returned to the BN fold. So, what’s really there left of the old Hindraf or HRP, and thus of the real effect of Uthayakumar’s threat of 3-corner fights.
Ignore Uthayakumar and HRP. Don’t allow him to dictate to Pakatan even if some seats may be lost. Destroy this potential ‘Old Man of the Sea’.
Why doesn't HRP issue an ultimatum to umno to back out and allow the Indian-based party to take on PR in straight fights in 220 parliamentary seats and 480 state seats in the next general election?ReplyDelete
Uthayakoomar the Hindoo afraid of being arrested under isa again for challenging umno?
With no grass root present, HRP just make themselves laughing stock.ReplyDelete
It never should be on raceReplyDelete
It should be on the best potential candidates
Fighting for a cause for the country and her people
Personal gains shouldn't be in the forefront
Blackmail or any threats to another
It should be condemned at all levels
It shows the immaturity of the politicians
We have seen in ameeno
So we don't need a small irrelevant party
Race base party issuing 'threats' for seats
Let this party go and fly its kite
The candidates will just lose all the deposits
Pakatan Rakyat must learn from its mistakes
The last generation breeds the frogs........
It is for their personal gains voters got cheated
I support frogs for the benefits of the people
The power craze personalities
Forming political parties to play
This high stake poker game
It isn't for the weak
He reads his game wrong
So much had happened
The leaders changed
Pakatan Rakyat leaders must march it on
Brush aside the power craze leaders.......
You can't entertain the 'blackmailers'
You will never sleep easy
What is this mad dog talking about. How dare he wants Dr Jeyakumar's Sg Siput seat? Dr Jeyakumar is the true fighter for the under privileged and estate workers. He is 3 class above Uthaya who chicken out half way of his "crusade" journey and "domesticated" by UMNO. I am not an Indian but for sure the Indians in Sg. Siput will boot him out if he ever set foot there.ReplyDelete
Uthayakumar dared not demand to contest in the Pekan or Pagoh seats from unmo. Just an ordinary tuak-drinking tambi who is also an expert in wife-bashing.ReplyDelete
Absolutely agree with your call not to give in to HRP,s excessive demands!Definately delusional these anehs!ReplyDelete
I am surprised Kaytee that you fell for malaysiakini and the media's spin over the use of the word 'demand' and 'ultimatum'. Nowhere did HRP use those words. The words used are, "we sincerely hope.."ReplyDelete
I think they have sincerely set out their plans for over a year now and have been consistent. So this is no 'threat' as it was a foregone conclusion repeated ad nausem for a year.
Politics is deal making. Four of the seats asked for have BN incumbents. There is room for negotiations. Turning them away is the worst possible message to the grassroot Indians who have already walked away from the MIC. Why strengthen BN?
Anwar and PR fears Uthaya because apart from Anwar, Uthaya is the only one who can pull crowds. It was evident yesterday too when 500 turned up for his book release. No other Pakatan or BN leader can pull crowds like him.
And you can be rest assured that there will be no doa in HRP events. In your stylised signature, wakakaka..
If hrp thinks that they can "win" then they should just go out and do it.ReplyDelete
Why make demands , why the need to request if they can win.
If they think that they are so popular then they should stand in kepala batas, pekan and sabah and sarawak.
hrp is NOT part of Pakatan , hrp is just an invitee.An invitee by courtesy maybe because of the "kasihan" factor.
As hrp is a race base grouping getting support purely on the kasihan factor.
Haha such a joker this auta Utaya.ReplyDelete
MIC can't even win more seats.
So is Keadilan.
He must be drunk on toddy.
Serves Anwar right for having such person on board.
i bet my last dollar all their candidates will lose their deposits. this is a loose train, so stay clear of him.ReplyDelete
Buttercup I see you used the word 'auta'. You must be a P Ramlee fan wakakaka.ReplyDelete
Auta-yakuma is either a clown or an idiot to be making stupid demands.ReplyDelete