Friday, April 09, 2021

'I promise that I will not let uncle sleep on the street again' - Steven Sim

Malaysiakini:



'I promise that I will not let uncle sleep on the street again' - Steven Sim

Several days after sharing a story of him helping an evicted mother with 10 children, Bukit Mertajam MP Steven Sim has once again touched the hearts of many after helping a homeless man.

This time, the story shared on his Facebook involved a homeless man known only as Uncle Kanda.

Sim said when he was in Malacca on Wednesday, an individual known as Hanis texted him about an elderly man who took shelter at a wet market in Bukit Mertajam.

"After I arrived in Bukit Mertajam at 2am, I immediately went to look for this uncle.

"When I arrived, Uncle Kanda was already sleeping on the floor. It was heartbreaking, and I couldn't stand to see the man in that state.

"That morning, I took him to the nearest hotel. He said he hadn't been sleeping on the bed for six months," he said.







Touched by the remark, Sim promised Kanda that he would not have to sleep on the streets anymore.

Sim's help did not end there. On the following day, after taking Kanda for breakfast, the Bukit Mertajam MP went with the homeless man to buy new clothes at the Aeon shopping mall.

Kanda also had a new haircut. Sim said Kanda quipped about having a hairstyle like the Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan.

After that, Kanda went for a medical check-up at a clinic.





"I was relieved after the doctor told me that his blood pressure and sugar level were okay. It's just that he had some skin problem, not a big problem," Sim said.

According to Kanda, his motorcycle was left at a workshop after he had an accident some time ago. As a result of the accident, he lost his job as a security guard.

The two immediately went to the workshop, where Sim helped pay the repair cost totalling RM1,100.

He also helped Kanda to get a job as a security guard with a monthly salary of RM1,200.





Sim said he had relocated Kanda to a new home, and his office would apply for a government-subsidised home for Kanda.

"From now on, Uncle has a new home. He does not have to wake up early in the morning to avoid the hawkers and their customers.

"No need to sleep on a wet and smelly mattress. No need to take a shower in a public toilet. No need to wander aimlessly to seek sympathy from people to be able to eat.

"I'm sorry, Uncle, because I arrived late, but I promise that I will not let uncle sleep on the street again," Sim said.

***

kt notes:

Dear Steven,

You did something to my heart in the way you have shown love and compassion towards Uncle Kanda. May you be blessed with good karma.



3 comments:

  1. DAP still has a strong credit balance with ordinary Penang folks.

    Well done !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Transcending race and religion to help people in distress. It is all about our divine heart to live for the sake of others.

    ReplyDelete