Sunday, August 27, 2023

A Catholic okays PM’s act at conversion ceremony











Francis Paul Siah


COMMENT | Let me be clear at the outset. I am Catholic and I represent no other Catholics but myself in this context. This is my opinion and mine alone.

To ensure that I’m understood, let me repeat that when I say: “A Catholic okays Anwar’s action”, I’m referring to myself, not anyone else sharing my faith.

I’m quite sure some of my fellow Catholics-Christians will disagree with me on this controversial issue. But I urge them in the spirit of Christian brotherhood to accept my views even if we do not share them just as I would accept theirs.

Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim has received a lot of flak over his participation in a conversion ceremony, most of which came from non-Muslims.

I have also read the statements from some politicians and viewed the video of an NGO leader bashing the prime minister.

I may not agree totally with their views, but I respect their right of expression. I also think that police action against the NGO leader was unnecessary.

Honestly, I find nothing wrong with Anwar presiding over the conversion ceremony in Klang recently.

I have already formed an opinion then even before the explanations from the Klang Perkim chapter chairperson, Hushim Salleh, and the Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Religious Affairs) Mohd Na’im Mokhtar.


Unnecessary protests

Instead of finding the prime minister’s act in presiding over the conversion ceremony controversial and troubling, it’s the other way around for me - I find the protests from some quarters disturbing and totally unnecessary.

I would look at the conversion ceremony as a happy and joyous occasion because for many people, embracing a new faith provides a sense of spiritual fulfilment and purpose.

I want to believe that the new convert must be ecstatic to have the prime minister presiding over his conversion ceremony. He must have felt very honoured, and the event would probably be the happiest and most memorable occasion of his life.

Wow! The prime minister himself personally led him and welcomed him into the Islamic faith. How many people have the opportunity of the presence of the PM at their conversion?



Folks, if we leave politics out of this issue and look at the matter in a positive light, all of us would be sleeping soundly at night. We should know that thinking positively can often help us dissect issues better.

Let us also leave out the racial undertones which would only make the matter worse. I’ve noted that those who came out strongly in protest were mostly from the Indian community.

I don’t think this was a coerced conversion as the youth, an Indian, seemed to be happy at the ceremony. He must have wanted to embrace Islam for personal reasons.


Personal transformation

Converting to a new faith can signify a significant personal transformation. It might involve adopting new moral and ethical principles, making positive lifestyle changes, and striving for personal growth.

If we look at it from this perspective, we should genuinely feel happy for the youth in his newfound faith.

I would be happy for the young man as he begins his new life as a Muslim just as I would be proud and happy during a baptism ceremony when we welcome new members into the Catholic church.

I have witnessed baptisms at regular intervals during masses in church and every time, we could feel that the newly baptised were glowing with a deep sense of joy and happiness as they believe they have found a meaningful path for their life.

I cannot see how the prime minister’s participation in the religious conversion and his posting of photos (of the ceremony) on social media have displayed a lack of religious sensitivity, as claimed by a civil society group.

The group also noted that while Article 11 of the Federal Constitution guaranteed freedom of religion, Anwar as prime minister should not publicly preside over religious conversion ceremonies for individuals of other ethnicities.

Allow me to respond to that.


Let the matter rest

I think we should remember that Anwar is first and foremost a Malay and a Muslim before he is the prime minister. And all religions are embraced by people of different ethnicities.

Anwar must be allowed to perform his duties as a Muslim when called upon to do so and this time, he was requested to preside over the conversion ceremony, and he willingly obliged.

That said, it is irrelevant whether the youth is a Chinese, a Dayak, an orang asli or a Mat Saleh.

I think those of us with faith believe that God is colour-blind. Indeed, religious teachings emphasise that God sees the hearts and intentions of individuals rather than their physical appearances.

I think we should all let the matter rest. I also believe that Anwar is not bothered whether he is right or wrong to preside at the conversion, despite the public outcry. He has more important matters to deal with as prime minister.

As far as Anwar is concerned, he knows he has done nothing wrong. It must be a happy moment for him to welcome a new “brother in Allah” and he knows that the young man would treasure the presence of the prime minister at his conversion.

As a Catholic, I stand by Anwar, our Muslim prime minister, on this issue. He has guided the young man towards the path of self-improvement which will surely bring him happiness and a sense of accomplishment.

To the new convert, may you find fulfilment, joy and peace as you embark on your new journey as a Muslim.



FRANCIS PAUL SIAH is a veteran Sarawak editor and heads the Movement for Change, Sarawak (MoCS). He can be reached at sirsiah@gmail.com


1 comment:

  1. By the same token, if Anwar being a muslim states that he will want to implement hudud law because it is his duty, would the writer support Anwar?

    ReplyDelete