Friday, November 04, 2022

‘People’s politics’ comes first as Wong Tack continues fighting for greener Bentong


Twenty Two 13:

‘People’s politics’ comes first as Wong Tack continues fighting for greener Bentong





From green activist to being a lawmaker – such is the journey of Bentong incumbent MP, Wong Tack.

A familiar face among the locals, the 63-year-old Bentong native, however, was dropped from the race by DAP ahead of the upcoming 15th general election in Malaysia.

DAP will instead feature Young Syefura Othman, while Barisan Nasional’s (BN) candidate for the parliamentary seat is former MCA president Tan Sri Liow Tiong Lai.

Setting aside his time, Wong Tack explained to Twentytwo13 of his decision to run as an independent, his ongoing plans to preserve the environment, and why voters should join his cause in creating a greener Bentong.

Why have you decided to run as an independent?

Wong Tack (WT): I was not a politician. I was president of the environmental group, Himpunan Hijau. We came to an understanding with DAP in 2013 to contest the election under their ticket. I had to join the party as per the party’s constitution.

We agreed to champion green issues and shut down the rare earth processing company Lynas.

That was how I entered politics. So, now I will continue fighting for the cause via the people’s platform.

DAP says that by contesting, you will split the votes and allow BN to recapture the seat. What are your thoughts?

WT: Ever since I was born, Bentong has been under MCA. But we worked hard in the last 10 years, and in 2018, we managed to win the seat.

Since then, we have been working even harder as we know it will not be easy to retain the seat. But we are well prepared and are confident we can win.

Far from being the spoiler, it is DAP that will split the votes.

If you win, would you continue to support Pakatan Harapan?

WT: I will be Pakatan Harapan (PH)-friendly. I still support PKR president (Datuk Seri) Anwar (Ibrahim) to be prime minister. I will do what is right and act as a ‘pressure group’ to ensure that the decisions reached are for the good of the people.

What do you have to say to your supporters in Bentong?

WT: They can rest assured that we will continue to serve and contribute to society. My whole team, small as it is, is still with me. We are using the people’s platform as we have a role to play and want to serve them.

How do you feel about taking on Liow and Young Syefura?

WT: I have served the community for more than 10 years, four-and-a-half, as a Member of Parliament. Bentong is my hometown … My team and I will continue to stay here. I am committed to the people of Bentong.

As we all know, Liow disappeared from Bentong (after losing the last election). He has only just returned because of the election.

I am confident the community knows who is working with sincerity and great conviction.

I am into the politics of the people. I try to humanise politics. Many people say I am not good at politics. I disagree. I am good, as long as it is for the people.

I am not good at political games and not interested in them. My focus is working for the people. I am confident the people are with me.

My plan is to bring people together for a better quality of life and a beautiful environment that must be protected and passed on to our children. That is my commitment.

What are your plans to address challenges faced by the people?

WT: I believe in people’s power. They must stick together and be part of the decision-making process. Their views must be respected. Sadly, today’s decisions are (made) top-down.

We need to protect water catchment areas. Climate change is happening, and the floods we face are devastating. Development must take into consideration the views of the people. It must not be destructive.

As a leader, I want the people to participate and be responsible. My job is to focus on their lives and build a sense of belonging, that Bentong is theirs.

I want them to be proud to say ‘I am from Bentong’. Our dream is to have a green corridor that promotes eco-tourism and to be an ecological hub.

If a young voter asks, ‘Why should I vote for you?’, what would your answer be?

WT: Because I care. I am here not just to win an election, but because I care for the future. I want to plant a seed and hope that voters come back to see it grow.

I am fighting for their (youths’) future. I want them to chase the same dream. They must participate in their future and have someone who is committed to protecting that future.

If a leader fails to see the importance of taking care of the environment and helping to protect it, you are not qualified to be a leader. You are a politician.


2 comments: