Saturday, January 15, 2022

Pasir Bedamar rep: My drink may have been spiked

The Star:

Pasir Bedamar rep: My drink may have been spiked




PETALING JAYA: Pasir Bedamar assemblyman Terence Naidu, in defending his innocence, has claimed that his drink may have been spiked following his arrest at a nightclub in Penang.

In a press statement on Saturday (Jan 15), Naidu confirmed that he was the assemblyman in question, provided his explanation of events that transpired, and said that he is submitting himself to be suspended by the party.

According to Naidu, he was invited to meet friends who were also clients for a Chinese New Year dinner in Penang.

"Upon reaching Prai, I was taken to the location of my arrest. I was hesitant to enter the premises at first, but eventually did so.

"I did not take any illegal substance. I was shocked when I was told my urine tested positive as I don’t even smoke," he said.

"I was poured an unusual drink, which I didn’t consume after tasting. I subsequently found out the following day that while I was in the toilet, someone also had come to my table and topped up my drinking glass," said Naidu.

Naidu has included the explanation above in his caution statement to the police.

Following his release, Naidu made a police report on Friday (Jan 14), stating that he was exposed to suspicious elements and naming an eye witness to this act.

"The eye witness has given a police statement confirming this incident.

"I have asked the police to investigate the above and the public to assess my above statement given to the police and come to their own conclusion," said Naidu, who added that he was well aware of his responsibilities as a two-term state assemblyman, and that one of these was the adherence to law.

Pointing out that many had jumped to the conclusion of his guilt, Naidu said that he intended to defend himself to prove his innocence.

"Nothing has changed, and I shall carry out my duties to my electorate and will stand by my position that drugs have and will always be a social issue, while continuing the fight against this," he said.

"As a responsible assemblyman elected under my party banner, I also stand ready to protect it from harm and will readily submit myself to be suspended so as not to drag my party into this case," said Naidu, who thanked the party leadership for their support.

He also apologised to supporters and the people of Pasir Bedamar for putting himself in the position of being compromised.

Naidu was among 48 people arrested by police on Thursday (Jan 13) in Bandar Perai Jaya and tested positive for drugs along with 35 others.

He is being investigated under Section 15(1)(a) of the Dangerous Drugs Act, but had since been released on police bail after his remand order expired.

Following an order from the Perak DAP leadership, Naidu said he was submitting a written report of the incident.


1 comment:

  1. You go to that kind of place, you know or should know what you are potentially exposing yourself to.

    ReplyDelete