Friday, May 31, 2024

'Cops prepared second statement, told me to ink it'

'Cops prepared second statement, told me to ink it'

Published: May 31, 2024 9:40 PM

An e-hailing driver, who was allegedly assaulted by an escort of Johor Regent Tunku Ismail Sultan Ibrahim, claimed that the police had prepared the second police report and instructed him to sign it.

The second report stated that the 46-year-old disabled individual said he had settled the matter and did not wish to prolong it.

In a press conference in Petaling Jaya this evening, Ong Ing Keong also claimed that a representative from the palace was present at the police station.

Asked how he identified that the person was from the palace, he replied through a sign language interpreter: “A police officer wrote it down for me.”

Elaborating on the “options” given to him, Ong claimed it was either he continued with the report and the police would confiscate his phone for investigation, or he could drop the case and receive compensation.

Feeling pressured, Ong said that he opted for the second choice as he was afraid that he would not be able to communicate with his friends and family if he lost his phone.

"And then the officer said, ‘if you go to court, I will take your handphone away or confiscate it’.

"So I was in a dilemma, I wasn't sure what to do and I didn't know why they wanted to take my handphone," he said.

Compensation negotiation

After informing of his decision, Ong claimed that the officer asked him how much he needed as compensation for his medical treatment.

In his reply, Ong said the initial offer of RM500 was too little and requested RM1,000, which they later compromised to RM800.

From left: LFL’s Zaid Malek, lawyer Latheefa Koya and victim Ong Ing Keong during the press conference today

The deaf e-hailing driver also revealed a portion of his conversation with the purported palace representative as he had asked the latter the whereabouts of the perpetrator.

"I was asking, where is the person who hit me? Why isn't he at the police station?

"The representative said, ‘Oh, he's busy working’," he said.

Second phone

Relating his experience at the police station, Ong claimed that police personnel closely monitored his movements and they even followed him when he requested to use the men’s room.

He said he took out his second phone while in the restroom to message his friend, only known as “Phillip”, and his wife to seek advice.

Throughout his ordeal, Ong said he was not accompanied by a sign-language interpreter and had relied on Phillip’s help to interpret the statement using WhatsApp.

[More to follow]

1 comment:

  1. Budak kita culture along with 2R crap
    NFA in the end as usual
    All under the carpet
    When was the last time any of these racist got
    sacked for gross misconduct?
    All in the name of ketuanan
    Disgusting work ethics