Sabah’s multimillion-ringgit water scandal case reaches climax as court set to deliver verdict today
File picture of former Sabah Water Department (SWD) director Ag Mohd Tahir Ag Talib and his wife Fauziah Piut. Mohd Tahir, Fauziah, and former deputy director Lim Lam Beng, 72, were charged on December 28, 2016. All three pleaded not guilty. — Picture by Julia Chan
Tuesday, 19 May 2026 8:51 AM MYT
KUALA LUMPUR, May 19 — Nearly a decade after it first made headlines with images of large cash seizures during anti-graft raids, the court is expected to deliver its decision today in a high-profile money laundering case linked to the Sabah Water Department.
The case drew nationwide attention in 2016 after the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission carried out one of the biggest seizures recorded in Sabah involving cash and valuables worth tens of millions of ringgit, according to Berita Harian.
Images showing stacks of cash discovered during the raids circulated widely in local media, placing the investigation among the country’s most closely watched corruption-related cases.
Former Sabah Water Department director Ag Mohd Tahir Mohd Talib, 63, his wife Fauziah Piut, 61, and former deputy director Lim Lam Beng, 72, were charged on December 28, 2016. All three pleaded not guilty.
Ag Mohd Tahir faces 11 charges, while Fauziah faces 19 charges under Section 4(1)(b) of the Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorism Financing and Proceeds of Unlawful Activities Act.
Fauziah also faces two joint charges with Ag Mohd Tahir under the same law, while Ag Mohd Tahir faces an additional charge under Section 4(1)(a) of the Act.
According to the charges, the alleged offences involving Ag Mohd Tahir and Fauziah were said to have taken place between October 4 and November 4, 2016, at his office in Kota Kinabalu, a condominium in Sembulan, bank branches, another condominium in Sulaman and a tower in Kuala Lumpur.
Lim faces four charges involving alleged possession of a Toyota Land Cruiser and cash amounts of RM200,000, RM1.9 million and RM280,000 said to be linked to unlawful activities. The alleged offences were said to have taken place between October 13 and November 8, 2016, at the MACC office on Jalan UMS and a house here.
After several postponements, the trial began on May 7, 2018 before Sessions Court judge Abu Bakar Manat, with the prosecution calling 46 witnesses.
The defence later called 15 witnesses, including several individuals initially listed by the prosecution, among them former Sabah chief minister Joseph Pairin Kitingan and former minister Raymond Tan Shu Kiah.
The prosecution is led by deputy public prosecutors Mahadi Jumaat, Haresh Prakash Somiah and Zander Lim.
Ag Mohd Tahir and Fauziah are represented by lawyers Ansari Abdullah, Sharatha Masyaroh John Ridwan Lincon, Fadzidahtul Ardianah, Rasrina Patrick T Rining and Noorsyazwani Sapri, while Lim is represented by Tan Hock Chuan, Baldev Singh and Kelvin Wong.
Former Sabah Water Department deputy director Teo Chee Kong had earlier claimed trial to 146 money laundering charges involving RM32.923 million on December 13, 2016.
He was initially scheduled to be tried together with the other three accused.
However, Teo was discharged and acquitted by the same court on March 17, 2022 before later becoming a prosecution witness in the case against the trio.
Earlier, on February 18, 2022, he was granted a discharge not amounting to an acquittal (DNAA) on all 146 charges before the MACC later imposed a RM30 million compound on him.
















