Wednesday, September 04, 2024

Chow will not recontest Penang DAP polls, paving way for succession plan








Chow will not recontest Penang DAP polls, paving way for succession plan


Published: Sep 4, 2024 4:36 PM


Penang DAP chief Chow Kon Yeow has announced that he will not be accepting a nomination for him to contest in the coming state committee election.

"On Aug 27, I received a letter from DAP regarding my nomination to contest in the state committee election scheduled to be held on Sept 22.

"After due consideration, I have decided not to accept the nomination to contest."

He said, when he was reappointed as the Penang chief minister after the state general election in 2023, party secretary-general Anthony Loke had instructed him to work on a succession plan.

As such, he has decided to take the first step to pave the way for a new Penang DAP chief.


Perfect timing

Chow, who has helmed Penang DAP since 2000, said the timing is perfect because the new state chairperson will have more than three years to lead and prepare the party for the next general election.

"I trust that the delegates will elect a strong Penang DAP state committee to continue the party’s political mission in Penang.

"I want to take this opportunity to record my appreciation to the party and members for supporting me and giving me the opportunity to serve as state DAP chairperson for the past 25 years and, prior to that, eight years as state secretary.

"Above all, I am indebted to the people of Penang for their great support and fighting spirit to journey together with me during my tenure as state chairperson and Penang DAP secretary," he said.

[More to follow]

No comments:

Post a Comment