Thursday, March 05, 2020

Our police good at arresting social activists, can't ...


Star Online:


Make-up artist living in fear after four years of harassment by ex-boyfriend:


IPOH: A make-up artist is living in fear as she has been harassed by a former boyfriend in the past four years.

Wong Tai Kwien, 49, said she had been threatened and punched by the man, an immigrant worker, since 2017.

"The first time he hit me was on Aug 28,2017, after a quarrel.

"He wanted me to take drugs and sell them, which I refused," she said during a press conference held by Perak MCA Public Service and Complaints Bureau chief Low Guo Nan here on Thursday (March 5)

"He punched me in the face and also hit my eyes," she said, adding that a police report was lodged right after the incident.

Wong said she had moved many times, but the man still managed to locate her.

"There was one time when he threatened me and my late mother with a machete.

“Sometimes, he would even bring his friends. They would shout loudly in front of our house, throw rocks and threaten to rape and kill me," she said.

Shortly after her mother passed away in September 2018 due to cancer, Wong said she stayed with a relative and changed her job.

“I'm not sure how, but he still managed to find me and has even come to my workplace.

"This has caused problems between my boss and me," she said.

Wong said she had lodged more than 15 police reports.

“There were several times I called the police seeking help when the man tried to harm me.

"But it took them hours to come, and by the time they arrived the man had already left,” she said, bursting into tears.

“I truly hope the police will do something and help me," she added.

Low said he hoped the police would offer more help to solve Wong’s problem.

“She is living in fear. She came to our office in tears, saying that she might kill herself if the man continues to harass her.

“We have referred her to a few counselling centres and hotline to help her out. She is stressed out," he said.

Those in trouble or in need of someone to talk to can call the Befrienders in Ipoh at 05-547 7933/7955, Kuala Lumpur at 03-7956 8145, Penang at 04-281 5161/1108, Kota Kinabalu at 088-259 788/016-8036 945 or email sam@befrienders.org.my.

When contacted, Ipoh OCPD Asst Comm A. Asmadi Abdul Aziz confirmed Wong's report but she failed to provide adequate information.

ACP A. Asmadi said Wong did not give the name and mobile phone number of her ex-boyfriend, complicating investigations.


1 comment:

  1. Police tend to see such cases as a domestic dispute.
    The attitude is not specific to Malaysia

    ReplyDelete