Sunday, August 23, 2026

No militants have crossed into Malaysia after southern Thailand attacks, authorities say






No militants have crossed into Malaysia after southern Thailand attacks, authorities say



Charred vehicles are seen at the Bongor Subdistrict Administrative Organisation office in Ra-ngae district in the southern Thai province of Narathiwat on August 23, 2026, following dozens of coordinated arson and incendiary attacks across Thailand’s insurgency-hit south. — AFP pic


Summary

  • Following coordinated bombings and violent incidents in Southern Thailand, no militant incursions into Kelantan, Malaysia have been reported.
  • Border security has been heightened, with personnel on high alert to prevent any infiltration attempts, while the main concern remains the entry of undocumented migrants.
  • The robust cooperation between Malaysian and Thai authorities is being facilitated through the Regional Border Committee, which is set to meet soon to discuss further security measures.
  • Meanwhile, Malaysians are advised to avoid non-essential travel to Thailand until the situation stabilizes, given the recent unrest in neighboring regions.


First Published: Sunday, 23 Aug 2026 6:57 PM MYT


PASIR MAS, Aug 23 — There has been no reported attempt by militants or guerrillas from Southern Thailand to cross into Kelantan so far, following last night’s coordinated bombings and violent attacks across three southern Thai provinces.

Confirming this, Southeast Brigade Commander of the General Operations Force (PGA) SAC Ahmad Radzi Hussain said border security along the Malaysia-Thailand frontier is being tightened as a precaution, with front-line personnel on high alert for any potential infiltration attempts.


“We are constantly reinforcing border controls and reminding our front-line teams to stay vigilant. We will act swiftly if there are any incidents or attempts to enter,” he told Bernama today.


He noted that, as of now, the only persistent issue at the border remains the entry of undocumented migrants.


On cooperation with Thai authorities, Ahmad Radzi said bilateral relations are strong, with the Regional Border Committee (RBC) serving as an effective platform for intelligence-sharing and coordination.


He said the RBC meeting is scheduled for Sept 1 to 3 in Hat Yai, Thailand, and will be attended by Kelantan police chief Datuk Mohd Yusoff Mamat, Kedah police chief Datuk Adzli Abu Shah, the acting Perlis police chief, himself, and Malaysian Armed Forces representatives.

“We maintain a continuous exchange of intelligence, and our cooperation with Thai authorities has always been solid,” he emphasised.


The RBC, he added, operates through six working groups covering border management, land affairs, disaster response, and intelligence, all designed to strengthen security collaboration between Malaysia and Thailand.

On the ground, a Bernama check in Pekan Rantau Panjang near the border today found that PGA personnel have intensified patrols and surveillance at strategic spots, particularly along key access routes leading into the frontier.

Meanwhile, Mohd Yusoff confirmed today that no Malaysians were caught in last night’s bombings and violence across three southern Thai provinces.

He advised Malaysians to remain cautious and postpone non-essential travel to Thailand until the situation stabilises.

Narathiwat province had been placed under a curfew from 10.15pm last night until 5am today, following reports of over 50 bombings, arson targeting local government offices and tyre-burning.

The powerful explosions, heard from Narathiwat last night, sent shockwaves through border communities, rattling homes and raising alarm among residents in Kampung Lubok Gong and Kampung Tersang in Rantau Panjang. — Bernama

No comments:

Post a Comment