

'Heartbroken' with PKR, Wong Chen marks new move with Bersama
Alyaa Alhadjri
Published: Aug 12, 2026 2:29 PM
Updated: 9:03 PM
Former Subang MP Wong Chen has officially joined Bersama today after 17 years as a PKR member.
Speaking at a press conference at Bersama’s party headquarters in Puchong, Wong (above, second from right) described his decision to leave PKR and vacate the Subang parliamentary seat as “heartbreaking” but necessary under the anti-party hopping provisions.
“I am excited to join this party,” said Wong, who cited a list of “personal insults” to his career while in government and his professional background as a corporate lawyer as a reason for his departure.
Specifically, Wong alluded to his removal as the non-executive chairperson of Malaysia Debt Ventures (MDV) in May, despite leading the GLC under the Finance Ministry back to profitability during his three-year tenure.
“They removed me in five days. I took that as a personal insult. There was no explanation given,” he said.
Published: Aug 12, 2026 2:29 PM
Updated: 9:03 PM
Former Subang MP Wong Chen has officially joined Bersama today after 17 years as a PKR member.
Speaking at a press conference at Bersama’s party headquarters in Puchong, Wong (above, second from right) described his decision to leave PKR and vacate the Subang parliamentary seat as “heartbreaking” but necessary under the anti-party hopping provisions.
“I am excited to join this party,” said Wong, who cited a list of “personal insults” to his career while in government and his professional background as a corporate lawyer as a reason for his departure.
Specifically, Wong alluded to his removal as the non-executive chairperson of Malaysia Debt Ventures (MDV) in May, despite leading the GLC under the Finance Ministry back to profitability during his three-year tenure.
“They removed me in five days. I took that as a personal insult. There was no explanation given,” he said.

Rafizi Ramli (fifth from right) presenting Wong Chen with a Bersama T-shirt to welcome the former Subang MP to his party
“Two or three weeks later, Treasury secretary-general Johan Mahmood Merican wrote me a very nice letter thanking me for my service, but he conveniently stamped the word ‘sulit’ (confidential), so I cannot show it to you.
“To this day, I have not received a call from the prime minister (Anwar Ibrahim). It was his ultimate decision as the prime minister. The Finance Ministry owns MDV. So for me, as a corporate lawyer for 22 years, I took that very personally,” he added.
At the time, Wong’s removal from MDV followed a rapidly worsening relationship with Anwar’s administration.
“Two or three weeks later, Treasury secretary-general Johan Mahmood Merican wrote me a very nice letter thanking me for my service, but he conveniently stamped the word ‘sulit’ (confidential), so I cannot show it to you.
“To this day, I have not received a call from the prime minister (Anwar Ibrahim). It was his ultimate decision as the prime minister. The Finance Ministry owns MDV. So for me, as a corporate lawyer for 22 years, I took that very personally,” he added.
At the time, Wong’s removal from MDV followed a rapidly worsening relationship with Anwar’s administration.

On May 17, Wong was among PKR MPs who attended Bersama’s launch by co-leaders Rafizi Ramli and Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad, both of whom were present today to welcome Wong into the party.
He reportedly discovered on May 20 that his parliamentary office had been blocked from the MyKhas allocation portal, and publicly protested the move on May 22.
Three days later, the Finance Ministry issued the letter terminating his MDV chairpersonship, effective May 31.
‘I’ve done my best’
Wong apologised to his former constituents for resigning before Parliament’s dissolution.
"I have done my job as a diligent MP over the last 13 to 14 years.
"Resigning one year early is the apology I give to the people. I could have waited until Parliament was dissolved, but I chose to step down," he said.

While he had carried out his duties as an MP with full responsibility, Wong said the current circumstances have imposed restrictions on an elected representative’s broader responsibility to defend democracy and fight for reform.
"I see the way to do that is by becoming a member of Bersama," he said, adding that a key focus includes contributing to the party’s policy recommendations.
On whether he would contest the Subang seat again under Bersama, Wong said it was up to the party to decide.
"However, I will continue to work in Subang. I will open an office in Subang. There is a process to take down all the signs (of the previous MP's office), but I want to assure the residents that I am still here. I am still the Wong Chen they know.
"I really need to go out to explain to the community and apologise for disappointing them,” he said.
Wong added that based on comments on his social media, about 80 to 90 percent had reacted positively to his decision.
He , as an adult , should have known attending the Berasama party launch by Rafizi Ramli was an act of disloyalty and faithlessness.
ReplyDeleteAny organisation worth its salt would have taken action.
The subsequent events flowed from there , including the termination of his appointed posts and blocking from the MyKhas portals.
No need to be heartbroken, he knew what he was doing, and the likely consequences.
Malaysia is beyond Repair until the Malay Racist Supremacist Hamas Lover Tsunami takes power after GE16 - Then in a short period, economic collapse follows with EACH STATE IN CHAOS DEMANDING OWN AUTONOMY TO BE LIKE SINGAPORE.....ALL BECAUSE THE AH LONG AND SUE TAN Thinks Rakyat are FOOLS & DID NOTHING IN DENIEL TO EXPEDITE THE TABUNG HAJI PONZI AND TRADING INSOLVENT WHICH IS A CRIME.....+ 1MDB + Felda + MARA + Jakim Ponzi....Foreign Business are leaving MalaySIAL for Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia as we speak....ANY Government that Starts Running MalaysiaL with some Islamic terms like Madani, Islam Hadhari- UMNO Pak Lah PAS- parti ajaran sesak HUDUD - are Actuall SH*T HOLE NATION DEVELOPMENT...Like Pakistan, Yemen, Gaza, Iraq, Somalia, Afganistan, Bangladesh, Egypt, Iran.....No Islam nation is ANY good in this world!!
ReplyDelete