Oddly, Hadi rants as PAS plans ‘peace and harmony’ tea party
Oddly, Hadi rants as PAS plans ‘peace and harmony’ tea party
PAS is sending out invitations to a goodwill gathering while the party's supremo is spewing venom at the DAP.

From Terence Netto
Earlier this week, a good friend who happens to be an ardent PAS activist sent me an invitation to attend a high tea in Shah Alam on Aug 16 to be hosted by the PAS Ulama Council
“You must come,” said Abdul Rahman Kassim when he phoned to inform me. “And bring two friends with you,” added the party enthusiast from Tasek Gelugor, Penang.
In attendance at the function will be Ahmad Samsuri Mokhtar, who is of course the PAS candidate to be prime minister should the party, with its allies, emerge with the largest number of MPs at the next general election.
Rahman made it clear to me that he was reaching out to Christians in particular for the Aug 16 occasion. His voice was rife with excitement. It was not surprising to detect the high spirits in his voice. He said I would disappoint him if I passed up the invitation.
I did not want to disappoint him by telling him that I had more interest in the much-anticipated DAP congress, coincidentally scheduled for the same day.
I have in the past attended PAS-organised functions, at Rahman’s invitation, where I have even raised questions about Islamist ideology.
These occasions were part of the party’s outreach to non-Muslims, particularly Christians, Rahman being famed for assisting Mujahid Yusof Rawa in the years before Mujahid left PAS, to reach out to Christians when the “Allah issue” sizzled in the public arena.
I have found PAS outreach events to serve no more useful purpose than the exchange of pious platitudes. No great understanding between the invitees and their PAS hosts was achieved.
In fact, I departed these occasions with a progressively keener appreciation for the saying that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I was reminded of this sobering admonition when I read the latest pronouncement of PAS supremo Abdul Hadi Awang posted about the DAP.
The pronouncement is venomous but it’s no different from the usual twaddle Hadi has posted about the DAP in recent times.
A DAP official has made an appropriate response to FMT about Hadi’s rant, but what beggars understanding is why Hadi has chosen to repeat his absurdities about the DAP just when PAS are organising a ‘peace and harmony’ gathering.
The Aug 16 programme does not appear to include a question-and-answer session. If there is one, this reporter will want to ask the PAS PM-designate if he subscribes to his supremo’s absurdities about the DAP.
Terence Netto is a senior journalist and an FMT reader.

No comments:
Post a Comment